The top of Church Street was known as the " Shambles "
There is an incredibly detailed map of Crieff drawn up in 1822 by John Wood . Wood was a Scottish surveyor resident in
Between 1818 to 1830 he engraved 52 plans of Scottish towns, of which 48 were
published in Atlas form in 1828. He also surveyed numerous Northumberland and Edinburgh
towns during the period 1826 and 1827. Fortunately his work
has been preserved by the National Library of Scotland in
digital form on the internet : (http://maps.nls.uk/towns/detail.cfm?id=321)
By clicking on the image you can increase or decrease the size making it so easy to take a town tour of Crieff as it was nearly two centuries ago ! For the genealogist / family historian with roots in the town there is an added bonus in that the houses are clearly delineated with the owner or occupier’s name shown . Indeed in some cases the occupations are also listed !
An area shown with cross hatching is described as the “ Shambles ” . I had always associated The Shambles with the lovely City of
in the North of England and certainly not here in the heart of Strathearn ! .
The name also occurs in both York
and in Lutterworth in Leicestershire . Historical evidence indicates that the
word is used to denote a place where
cattle were slaughtered or butchered .
Crieff’s “ Shambles ” is located
opposite The Cross at the
junction of Manchester Church Street , East
High Street and High Street . Old timers
will recall that the little shop now trading as the Community Council
Charity Shop was once the Coop butchers ! Although it was
certainly not around in 1822 when Wood produced his master piece – the
area was the focal point of The Tryst
when 30 000 beasts invaded our little town ! It was here that
Rob Roy – drover – rustler – bandit and folk hero – toasted the health of King
James –“ the King across the water ” despite the presence of a somewhat
immobile contingent of Hanoverian Redcoats .
Other places which have disappeared or just changed name include Cross Street or Kirkgate now Church Street , Pudding Lane now Bank Street , Brown’s Lane now Ramsay Street , McFarlane’s Lane now Roy Street , The Octagon now Burrell Square and Cowper’s Lane now Cornton Place . Late Victorian Anglicisation saw Hall or Hill Wynd become