The Sad Demise Of An Historic Part of Crieff : PART FOUR
The old grave yard in Church ceased to function away back in 1853 when the present one in Ford road opened There were a number of interments after that date where families had purchased burial lairs from the Parish Kirk . In the 1990s Perth and Kinross Council acting as the responsible party for the maintenance of the churchyard , advertised in the local press that any one who held burial rights in the ground were required to contact them pending the removal of a number of stones / memorials .
The sad spectacle that is currently advertised as being part of Crieff’s heritage Trail ( red plaque at the Church Street gate ) is a civic disgrace The church has been vandalised in June / July 2014 and many windows and frames smashed leaving the building exposed to the elements . It is a shocking renaging of civic responsibility that it has been allowed to reach this level of decrepitude . Money can be found to paint lamp posts but sadly not the critical maintenance of Crieff’s cradle !