Castle Cluggy and Loch Monzievaird , Ochtertyre
Loch Monzievaird ( above )
behind the crannog
We have discussed at some length in these “ blogs “ the presence of crannogs or artificial islands in Strathearn and north in Loch Tay in ancient Breadalbane in April 2013 (http://perthshirecrieffstrathearnlocalhistor.blogspot.co.uk/2013_04_01_archive.html)
These are an incredible reminder to us how and where our ancient forbearers dwelt and existed at time when native soil was inhabited by wild animals as well as aggressive natives ! Loch Monzievaird has excellent examples of these crannogs but in addition on the north shore lies one of Strathearn’s ancient dwellings , namely Castle Cuggy . Located and accessed from the west at Loch Mozvievaird Chalets , the Castle is very old , being described in 1467 as being “antiquum fortalicium” – an ancient castle !
Tradition has it that it was the home of the Red Comyn the protagonist of Robert the Bruce , King of Scotland .Legend tells us that Castle Cluggy was one of the possessions of Malise, Earl of Strathearn It came into possession of the Drummond family and in 1488 was the subject of a legal battle with the Murray family over ownership . In 1650 it was occupied by Sir William Murray , first Baronet of Ochtertyre when Cromwell was endeavouring to take over Scotland .It lies on a piece of land known as the “Dry Isle “ .The crannog due south of it was said to have been used in days gone by as a place of containment for any prisoners held by the castle. It is now a scheduled monument under the ownership of Sir Brian Souter of Ochtertyre . Much of the original castle has been destroyed revealing an impressive square tower with thick walls and arrow slots at various levels .
The natural beauty of Loch Monzievaird make it a pleasant walk around its perimeter shores .