Fowlis Castle - A Forgotten Part of Strathearn’s Heritage
For what was undoubtedly one of the most important structures in the Strath it has been totally neglected and forgotten – a somewhat sad reflection on the importance of our heritage in the eyes of our political caretakers !
( Argyll ) .
The Earldom of Strathearn now stretched from Newburgh in the east to Balquhidder in the west. Inchaffrey Abbey was founded in 1200 and the name Crieff first appears in the charters. One witness is described as Bricius, the parson of Crieff ( about 1199). Earl Gilbert did well for himself. He married Matilda , daughter of the Earl of Arundel ( to become the Norfolks) . He had 8 sons and 3 daughters. He took a prominent part in the coronation of Alexander ll in 1214. He died in 1223 and was succeeded By Robert a great supporter of Inchaffrey having initially quarrelled with the Abbot over their possessions. He signed a charter in the 1222 in the ancient Church of Strageath.