The Ossian Stone or Clach Ossian in the Sma’ Glen near Crieff
There are a number of points Burt’s article raises. He was advised of the actions of the Highlanders by their officer in charge who too was a Gaelic speaker. The incident occurred about 1736 and no mention was made of the name Ossian being attached to the stone. Who, then, was Ossian? Ossian was in fact invented by a gentleman called James MacPherson who claimed to have found manuscripts of parts of Gaelic poems written by “ Ossian “ and published by him as a translation around 1760 .These proved immensely popular although they did arouse the
“ the people of the country , for several miles around , to the number of three or four score of men, venerating the memory of the Bard rose with one consent , and carried away the bones , with bag pipes playing, and other funeral rites, and deposited them with much solemnity within a large circle of stones , on the lofty summit of a rock, sequestered and of difficult access, where they might never more be disturbed by mortal feet or hands , in the wild recesses of Western Glen Almond "